Vegan supermarket shopping in Barbados
Being vegan in Barbados is a lot like being vegan in the 1970’s in England. I make a lot of rice and peas! And butternut soup. Which is fine for me but perhaps a bit of a snore fest for the rest of my family… So, here’s some ready-to-serve vegan treasures I’ve managed to track down and where to find them!!
Cost U Less – Warrens
Cost U Less have one freezer full of vegan fake meat products. I know they are not all the healthiest, but I love the fact that they are ready to go, and acceptable to my 3 kids under 7, who are a pretty tough audience!
Chick’n dippers, bean burgers, Chick’n wings, sausages, whamd. It’s all pretty pricey but I find the Field Roast range better value than Morning Star, and I bought the 12 pack of vegan sausages below for $40 BBD which seemed like a pretty good deal to me! And they were tasty!
I really like Vegenaise (although my husband says it sounds like a illness that would lay you out for months) and the vegan butter is delicious. Oh, and look out for the non-dairy Ben and Jerry’s icecream. I still haven’t seen it!
Then there is WHAM. I love it if only for the name. Giving my kids ‘wham’ sandwiches for school makes me inordinately happy. Wham and cheese is even allowed. Two out of three of my kids love it, slathered with veganaise for school sarnies but my middle daughter just can’t face it, though it’s pleasingly pink and sweet and slimy. It is pretty weird!
Massy Stores – Super Centre at Warrens and Sky Mall
- Sometimes tofu (it seems to come in a container occasionally, then they have plenty for a while until it all runs out for months again!)
- Sometimes nutritional yeast
- Often vegan cream cheese (based on coconut cream)
- Sometimes weird vegan mozzarella useful for pizzas
- Unsweetened soy milk beverage (Waitrose) cheapest non dairy milk I’ve found
- Insanely expensive coconut-based yogurt that is occasionally on a red-sot special!
Health Food Shop at Sky Mall (will check name)
- Nutritional yeast
- Divine banana bread and cassava pone
As these products are hard to find, I am going to keep updating this post! It’s a work in progress….
Next posts I’m going to write:
- Almond Milk
- Amazing leafy greens, lettuce, herbs and ground provisions from Yosia at Harrows Organic Produce
- Farmers Markets
- Eating out as a vegan in Barbados
- Vegan Restaurants and cafes
- Restaurants with great vegan offerings!